It happens to most of us at a point in our lives – weight gain. Sometimes we know why it’s happening – we stopped going to the gym and started picking up a donut on the way into work every day.
But too often, it’s unclear. Our habits haven’t changed in a big way – we’re eating our salads and running a couple of times a week – and yet the weight keeps creeping on.
How Do We Figure out What’s Going On?
One of the most common culprits for unexplained weight gain is a change in hormones. As we age, our hormone balance shifts naturally. But there are also underlying hormone disorders that can pop up without us noticing:
- Lowered testosterone in men
- Estrogen changes in women
You can read more about how to know if your hormone balance is off in our previous blog post.
So many different hormones can affect your weight.
- Insulin regulates your blood sugar levels
- Leptin and ghrelin control your hunger levels and control your hunger levels
- Cortisol reacts to your stress levels
More info on each hormone and its relationship to weight loss can be found here.
As you think about making a doctor’s appointment to figure out what’s going on, take a close look at your habits and lifestyle.
- Are you feeling hungrier than usual?
- Are you snacking on extra sugar because you’ve been more tired recently?
- Is staying active feeling more difficult because of energy levels?
- Are your stress levels higher than usual right now because of life events?
All this information is valuable to both you and your doctor – it will help narrow down what’s really going on and ensure the right tests are run.
You know your body best, and you deserve a doctor and a medical team who will listen carefully and patiently to you and take your needs and your health seriously.
We Can Help
Just because it’s a common problem doesn’t mean it can’t be fixed. We believe every one of us deserves to live a life that’s healthy. We’ll work one-on-one with you, taking the time to really get to know you and your unique needs, problems, and life.
So, if you’re struggling to lose weight despite your best efforts at dieting and exercising, don’t lose hope. Schedule an appointment and start getting answers and solutions today.